Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Tongue

So tonight in core group we were talking about our tongues and what we say with them. Kelli, my core group leader, passed out half sheets of paper for us to fill out. On the half sheet of paper were question about our conversations from today. Questions like: What kind of things did I talk about today? What was my longest conversation of the day about? What did I complain about today? Did I change any stories or facts? There were a few more questions as well, but I can't remember what they were.

As I sat there filling out that paper, I started to feel slightly ashamed. Where was my focus today? Definitely not on things that had any meaning or worth. I was even more ashamed as I watched my complaining list get longer and longer. I had no idea that I complained that much. It was like I was trying to find things to be complaining about. It made me realize that I need to be more thankful to the Lord for what He has done for me. I think I am going to try and start doing this thing where every time I complain I am going to find two things to be thankful for and then I am going to write it down. Maybe this will help me not to having a complaining spirit. Complaining is not honoring to the Lord, especially after all He has done for us.

Thank you Lord for saving my soul,
Thank you Lord for making me whole
Thank you Lord for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free

God has done so much for me! He saved me from hell and He has given me more grace than I could have ever asked for. A song to think about that has come to my mind. I love this song and hope that it will make you think and also be a blessing to you.

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater
He sendeth more grace as our labors increase
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace

When we have exhausted our store of endurance
When our strength hath failed ere the day is half done
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun

His love has no limits, His grace hath no measure
His power no boundary known unto men
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Nice thoughts. I remember having that Core Group discussion. What a rebuke! It's amazing the things we allow our tongues to say...but praise the Lord, He DOES give grace!

shawna said...

Amen Lisa, if God didn't give grace I don't know where I would be. His Love has no limits and His grace has no measure, for out of His infinite riches in Jesus, He giveth and giveth and giveth again. He gives us grace even when we don't deserve it. I think the biggest act of grace that He gave was sending Christ to die on the cross for us! To God be the Glory!

Anonymous said...

AMEN.